Qualified Electrical Worker Support:
The Engineering Division has QEWs designated to assist with the fabrication, modification and repair of Laboratory electrical equipment in accordance with our Electronic Equipment Build Standards. Schedule the support of a QEW via one of the following methods:
- complete request form: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=cb6e45c71893442b9f614aa731513f11
- email request to: [email protected]
- call x6222
- All Berkeley Lab unlisted (not UL or NRTL approved) electrical equipment must be inspected and approved before it can be used.
- All LBNL fabricated or modified listed electrical equipment must be inspected and approved before it can be used.
- See PUB 3000, Chapter 14 for details about Berkeley Lab’s Electrical Equipment Safety Program.
- Schedule an inspection BEFORE using unlisted or modified equipment via email: [email protected]
On October 13th, 2014 the Berkeley Lab Director wrote Division Directors and Division Deputies to emphasize the importance of electrical safety in the conduct of scientific research.
The Laboratory continues to expect that all staff understand and employ these fundamental electrical safety practices:
- Do not perform any electrical work
- Report unsafe equipment to your supervisor
- Enlist the support of a Qualified Electrical Worker (QEW) for all electrical work
- Lockout and Test Before Touch
- Establish and control the workspace
- Plan and control the work
- Correct unsafe behaviors and conditions